I'm always on the hunt for kid orientated museum exhibits so I was quite excited when I saw a lot of posts popping up on instagram about Alphabetical Sydney : Creative Lab at the Sydney Museum. While it's targeted at children aged 3 and up, it was the perfect morning out for Farley, who's nearly two. My sister in law was also visiting from Brisbane for the weekend so it made for a wonderful Sydney themed family outing.
Alphabetical Sydney : Creative Lab is a collaboration with illustrator Antonia Pesenti and author Hilary Bell, bringing to life their best selling book Alphabetical Sydney in an interactive exhibit that celebrates the sights of Sydney. Farley was fascinated by the 'fold your own boat' activity and she also loved the magnet wall full of letters and numbers. (She has recently taken a keen interest in numbers but it was actually the first time, at the exhibit, that I've seen her seem to make a connection with letters - in particular the letters that were hanging from the ceiling). She had a great time playing amongst the cushions and reading a few of the books under the Moreton Bay fig tree wall decal.
Older kids would enjoy writing a poem for the poetry wall, designing a bat to hang in the little night time corner and drawing a picture of a place they would like to visit to hang up on the wall. There was even more activities in the souvenir Lab Kit that we didn't get too; there really was so much to keep a little toddler engaged. I'd highly recommend it as a toddler friendly outing!
Tips and Information:
- WHEN: Alphabetical Sydney : Creative Lab is on at the Museum of Sydney until 12th August 2018 and is open daily from 10am - 5pm. (Excluding Good Friday and Christmas Day)
- WHERE: The Museum of Sydney, Cnr of Philip and Bridge Street Sydney NSW 2000
- COST: The exhibit is included in your Museum of Sydney admission price which is Adult - $12, Child - $8, Concession - $8, Family - $30, Children under 5 years are FREE.
- GETTING THERE: We visited on a Saturday and parked in the Sydney Opera House parking, which is a flat rate of $15 on weekend. The Museum of Sydney was a 10 minute walk through Circular Quay. If you are catching the train, The Museum of Sydney is a 10 minute walk from either Circular Quay, Whynyard and Martin Place Station.
- PRAM FRIENDLY: You are required to park your pram outside of the exhibit, near the lifts, so do take all your valuables with you. Otherwise, it was very easy to get to and from and around the Museum with a pram.
For more information visit the Museum of Sydney's Website